Saturday, July 2, 2022

It's ok to want a diagnosis

 FB post from March 9th 2022. 

Does a mental health diagnosis even matter? Is it bad to put a name to it? Some would say that diagnoses don't define us and aren't a part of who we are so they aren't important.

It matters to me though. It’s not who I am but it is part of the puzzle.
As someone who was diagnosed as bipolar 12 years ago and then recently that diagnosis was changed to BPD and CPTSD it has been helpful to understand exactly what I'm dealing with. Having a new diagnosis has at times thrown me for a loop. I've had to look at all the different aspects and adjust in my mind that something I thought was accurate is not actually accurate. At times it's been hard to make this adjustment in my mind. It's been a confusing journey, but In the long run though, having a diagnosis, and now a more fitting one has helped me understand myself. It has given words to something I bear in my heart and mind. I feel like I can look at the lists below and say I'm not the only one. Someone else is also walking this journey. It can be validating to have a diagnosis.
Labels for me are tools for propelling me forward; they don't hold me back. They help me say YES YES that's what I think and feel. Something that is difficult and doesn’t make sense makes a little more sense now.
Some will say I'm getting caught up and putting too much stake in them, some will say it simply doesn't matter. 
Question though.... If you go to the Dr. and they tell you that you are a "diabetic", would you reject the diagnosis? Would you tell them not to speak that, would you tell them to not accept that? If you were diagnosed diabetic would you deny that to be true or would you learn what you can so you can fight it as best as you can and become as healthy as you can?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4165723/table/T0001/?report=objectonly&fbclid=IwAR19t0ejoqaJ-otgQgBOgEdieRKBy5JUn5LQeM7TJUT-7jTPNCAkxyd50D8

No comments:

Post a Comment