Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Do we love Jesus, just for Him?

I was at a women's conference recently that Beth Coppedge spoke at. She asked a thought provoking question. "Do we love God just for Him, for who He is, or do we want God to perform for us?"

I felt convicted about that question. It has lead me to pray and think about whether I have recently been loving Him for Him and if I've loved Him wholeheartedly and unhindered by selfish purposes and expectations.

I want to be holy and pure, having a heart and mind like His, to have His joy, His favor, His fruit, but am I willing to do what He commands and expects of me out of my love for Him, regardless of what my circumstances are?

Am I willing to spend time reading His Word, diving into Who He is and what pleases Him, so that I can know Him personally? Am I focused on praising Him and asking what would please Him, And when He speaks and shows me His perspective am I willing to respond out of love for him or am I more interested in what I can get from Him, what benefits can I get?

Do we want to please God or have Him please us?

I've been convicted that I've allowed my focus to get off track, and have been more focused on What He can do for me, and my wants. Slowly I've allowed my selfish expectations to cloud over my love for Him, just Him, for who He is.

Do I want to be obedient out of my love for Him, or do I just want to receive all His gifts and not worry about or seek what He calls me to?

I want that joy, that radical walk with Him, that intimacy, often I don't ask Him what that requires of me.

He loves and forgives, He gave us freedom from sin, He brought salvation, grace and hope and continues to bless us with that love . Are our hearts thankful? Do we have hearts that worship Him and praise Him no matter what? Do we thank Him for all of His blessings seen and unseen daily?

Psalms 13:5-6
But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. 6 I will sing the LORD’s praise, for he has been good to me.

That's what He wants isn't it?, He wants us to love Him and be loved by Him, no strings attached, no expectations of Him to do something for me.

In Deuteronomy 6:5 and Mark 12:30 He says:
Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

That's a strong command. One we cannot accomplish on our strength, but the strength of Jesus.

He longs and desires a love relationship with Him, one that is abandoned to His heart, surrendered in all places, all the corners and rooms of our being no matter what it costs us. Surrendered to Jesus, willing and joyful to obey Him out of love for Him?

My heart is for Him, I love Him, and I need Him, and He has lovingly re-focused my mind and heart to love Him and please Him. When I ask, He speaks, when I look through His eyes I can see His heart and His perspective, and intimacy grows.

I am purposing my focus back on loving Him for Him. Seeking Him out for His love. I'm committing again to search Him out in His Word, to love Him for Him, to continue on this love journey, to a deeper love relationship with Him. To give my whole heart to serve and love Him, with His strength, His pure ways.

No matter what my lot, what my circumstances, my eyes are fixed on Him. He is unfailing and faithful, full of love, and most worthy of my love. To God be the glory!

Psalms 36:5-7
Your love, LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.
Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice reaches to the sea. You, LORD, preserve both people and animals. How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.

No matter what my lot, what my circumstances, my eyes are fixed on Him. He is unfailing and faithful, full of love, and most worthy of my love. To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment